Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Cadavers and Kenyan Doctors

Last night as I half dozed watching ‘Patch Adams' the movie, my significant other, a faithful reader of the Kenyan e-dailies, asked why Kenyans were reluctant to donate dead bodies for research.
I did not read the article, but it got me thinking.

Is Kenya training enough doctors? Dr. Julius Ogeng'o , Chair of Human Anatomy at the University of Nairobi's School of Medicine claims the lack of cadaver donation is having a huge negative impact on training. But is this the sole reason? Or is it our scapegoat, ‘brain drain' at it again. From my point of view, the brain drain is not a viable reason. It is a rare thing to meet Kenyan medical doctors out here. So far in the 5 states I have toured, I have only met one orthodontist and one chiropractor. I am not sure the latter is even considered a proper doctor in Jamhuri.

Patience Wanga wonders if our culture of revering the dead is getting in the way of doctors' training.